Sweet Potato Casserole with Hazelnut Streusel
Created for the 3 1/10 qt. stoneware au gratin dish
Serves 12 – 14Ingredients:
For the topping:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
For the filling:
- 6 pounds sweet potatoes, roasted, peeled and pureed
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter the gratin dish.
Prepare the streusel: Melt the butter and let it cool slightly. In a medium bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients for the topping with a fork. While stirring, slowly drizzle in the butter until you have uneven lumps and crumbs. Refrigerate for 15 minutes while preparing the potatoes.
Place the pureed sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, whole egg and half-and-half until well-blended. Whisk in 1/3 cup maple syrup, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and orange juice.
Gently whisk the egg mixture into the potatoes until well-blended. Add butter and stir until smooth.
Taste for seasoning and sweetness. Adjust with the addition of a few more tablespoons of maple syrup, or salt and pepper.
Transfer the potato mixture to the gratin dish and smooth with a spatula.
Remove topping from refrigerator and crumble it over the potatoes.
Bake 20 minutes. Rotate the dish and bake another 20 – 25 minutes, until the top is crisp and browned. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.