Spicy Baked Pasta with Olives
Created for the Bell Pepper Cocotte
Recipe provided by love & olive oil
Spicy puttanesca meets melty lasagna in this crowd-pleasing pasta dish. With just enough spice from the red pepper flakes, and a salty kick from the Kalamata olives, this pasta combines the best Italian flavors into one dish.Ingredients
- 8 ounces pasta, such as penne, ziti or casarecce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until just barely al dente. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in the Bell Pepper Cocotte over medium-low heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add olives and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Fold in pasta and about 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake 15 minutes or until cheese on top is melted and bubbly. Serve warm.