Created for the 8 qt. stockpot
Serve this with crusty French bread.Ingredients:
- 4 garlic cloves, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups multi-colored cherry tomatoes
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed muscles and clams, cleaned
- 1 calamari tube, cleaned and thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoon schopped flat-leaf parsley
Make the rouille first. Mince 2 garlic cloves and transfer to blender. Add basil, mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, cover and chill.
In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and fennel. Season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally, until tomatoes burst.
Slice remaining garlic cloves and add to pot. Cook until garlic becomes fragrant, stirring often. Pour in wine, stirring often, until the wine has reduced and is almost absorbed. Add clam juice and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
Add shellfish and calamari. Cook, covered, until shellfish open, discarding any that do not. Stir in parsley.
Spread rouille on French bread slices and serve with bouillabaisse.