You have no items in your shopping cart.
Pear, Cranberry and Maple Walnut Crumble
0 reviews >
- 5 large firm, ripe Anjou or Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 pound cranberries, rinsed, sorted and picked over to remove stems
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple sugar (see note)
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
In the braiser, toss pears, cranberries, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon until well mixed. Combine the oats, brown sugar, maple sugar, butter, flour, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and the chopped walnuts in a mixing bowl; blend coarsely with fingertips. Sprinkle the oat mixture over the fruit and pat down lightly.
Bake until the pears are tender and the topping is golden, about 45 minutes. If the top is browning too quickly, lay a piece of foil, shiny side up, over the top.
This is great served warm with vanilla ice cream.
Created for the 3 1/2 qt. braiser
Serves 6 - 8
When fresh cranberries aren't in season, you’ll probably find them in the freezer section. Just defrost them and they'll work fine in this recipe.