Make It at Home: Coriander-Black Pepper Crusted Tuna with Orange Shallot Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 4 (4-ounce) tuna steaks
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for oiling the grill pan
- 4 ounces mesclun greens or other fresh salad greens
- 1/4 cup picked cilantro leaves (optional)
In a grill pan or skillet over medium heat, combine the coriander seeds and black pepper, and toast until they become fragrant. Remove to a mortar and pestle, and coarsely pulverize them.
Season the tuna steaks with salt. Coat them liberally with the coriander-pepper mixture.
Start the vinaigrette by combining the shallot, lemon juice or vinegar, and orange juice. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
Set a grill pan over high heat. Oil a paper towel and rub the pan with it. The oil should smoke. Press the tuna steaks onto the grill pan and sear until the pan has left distinctive marks, about a minute.
Lift the tuna steaks, rotate them a quarter-turn, and set them back down on the grill pan, pressing down to complete the hash marks. Continue cooking another minute. Then flip and continue cooking about 2 more minutes or until done.
While the tuna is cooking, whisk the 3 tablespoons oil into the juice mixture. Combine the greens with the optional cilantro. Toss with half the vinaigrette and divide among 4 plates. When the tuna is done, slice in half and serve with the greens, spooning the remaining vinaigrette over the tuna and greens.