Doce de Abobora
1 Small Pumpkin
½ Cup Granulated Sugar
¾ Cup Slivered Almonds
¼ Tsp Cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the center of both halves.
3. Sprinkle about half of the cinnamon on the flesh sides of the pumpkin and place the pumpkin halves in the oven simply on the oven rack, flesh side up and cook for about 45 minutes, until the pumpkin flesh is soft to the touch.
4. Carefully remove the pumpkin halves from the oven, being careful to retain the liquid that might have collected in them.
5. Pour any liquid that collected in the pumpkin halves into a small pot and add the sugar to that pot then add enough water to bring the amount of liquid up to ¼ cup.
6. Add the sugar to the water/liquid mixture and put the pot on medium heat stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
7. Scoop the pumpkin flesh away from the pumpkin bark and place the flesh in a small pot or bowl. Mash it with a fork until there are no large chunks – this is a rustic preserve so a few larger pieces are fine.
8. Add the sugar/water mixture, the remaining cinnamon, and the almonds to the mashed pumpkin and stir it all together.
9. Let sit until cool and then serve.