You have no items in your shopping cart.
Chilled Carrot Soup with Yogurt and Tarragon
0 reviews >
- 1 pound large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- About 1/2 cup Arbequina or other good olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated whole turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, such as labne, a strained Middle Eastern yogurt
- Leaves of 1 bunch fresh tarragon, coarsely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and sweat for 1 minute. Add the garlic and sweat for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
Place the carrots in a blender with the shallots, garlic, vinegar, orange zest and juice, ginger and turmeric, and process at high speed. With the motor running, drizzle in about 1/2 cup cold water, to achieve a nice velvety consistency. Reduce the speed to its lowest setting and drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil until it is fully incorporated. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper; if you like the flavor a bit more acidic, add more orange juice or vinegar.
Divide the soup among 4 chilled bowls and top each serving with a dollop of yogurt, a sprig of tarragon, a drizzle of olive oil, and a little freshly ground pepper.