Apple Cranberry Crumb Blondies
Recipe courtesy of KitchenConfidante.com
Created for the Signature 5 1/4 qt. Roaster
For the crumb topping
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
For the bars
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for the roaster
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples (about 2 large apples)
- 1/2 cup dried or fresh cranberries
Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter the roaster and set aside.
To make the crumb topping, in a small bowl, whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the mixture until medium crumbs form. With your hands, mix in the cranberries. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is light and creamy. Add the brown sugar and mix until fully incorporated. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla and mix well.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in apples and cranberries.
Pour the batter into the roaster and spread with a spatula. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly on top and press with your hands.
Place the roaster onto the center rack of the oven and bake 35 minutes, or until the crumb topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out nearly clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and serving.